Earlier this year I worked on some hand painted floral bow tie designs for a wedding customer. In fact I actually blogged about it here. I then had a request from a different customer to create a version of the design painted on to a large canvas. Here's a visual timeline of how it all unfolded, which included me trying but failing to learn how to paint 'properly' from Youtube. I ended up using my usual method of trial and error and experimentation and was super happy with the end result!!
These were the original bow ties designs I created for my customer in my sketchbook. It was my customer who asked me to add some more detailing inside the flowers, which is ultimately what led to the end painting!!
This was the resulting hand painted bow tie:
Below is my first attempt at working on a draft of an actual painting using the above design (left). Not quite happy with it, I decided to attempt to learn how to paint flowers 'properly' by watching some YouTube tutorials. Turns out that just doesn't really work for me....
Turns out I should just stick to trial and error experimentation and work out how to paint myself somehow. Below are my various drafts/practices at the painting, including a video of my finally painting on to the canvas and the final product!!!